Dr Isabel Henton
- Dr Isabel Henton
- +44 (0)20 7040 8588
Dr Isabel Henton is an HCPC registered and BPS accredited Chartered Counselling Psychologist (CPsychol). She was trained in psychology and counselling psychology at London Metropolitan University, receiving her doctoral award in May 2015.
Isabel's first degree was in classics and philosophy. She spent some years working in management consultancy and business development, before pursuing a career in counselling psychology.
Isabel has been teaching and supervising research in counselling psychology since September 2014. She joined City University in August 2016, where she will be working as a lecturer, research supervisor and personal tutor.
DProf, Counselling Psychology, London Metropolitan University
GradDip, Psychology, London Metropolitan University
MA, Classics, Oxford University
BA (Hons) Classics, Oxford University
Lecturer in Counselling Psychology, City University (August 2016 to present)
Lecturer in Counseling Psychology, London Metropolitan University (Sept 2014 to July 2016)
Visiting Lecturer, Regent's University (February 2016 to present)
Associate, London Counselling Psychologists (February 2015 to present)
Isabel's research interests include areas where relationships between psychotherapy research and practice are negotiated, research training and experience, psychotherapy research methodologies, practice-based and practice-oriented research, and qualitative research methodologies in psychology and psychotherapy.
- Henton, I. and Kasket, E. (2017). Research in counselling psychology. In Galbraith, V. (Ed.), Applied psychologies: Counselling psychology London: Taylor & Francis.
- Henton, I. (2016). Engaging in research. In Douglas, B., Woolfe, R., Strawbridge, S., Kasket, E. and Galbraith, V. (Eds.), Handbook of counselling psychology (4th edition) London: Sage.
- Henton, I. (2016). IPA bites. Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis workshop. London Counselling Psychologists 3 April, London, UK.
- Henton, I. (2015). IPA bites. Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis workshop. London Counselling Psychologists 6 June, London, UK.
- Henton, I. (2011). “A path in the woods”: A story of psychotherapists’ involvement in outcome research. Society for Psychotherapy Research annual conference 29 Jun 2011 – 2 Jul 2011, Bern, Switzerland.
- Henton, I. (2016). Criticality is critical in your literature review
- Henton, I. and Midgley, N. (2012). ‘ A path in the woods ’: Child psychotherapists’ participation in a large randomised controlled trial. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 12(3), pp. 204–213. doi:10.1080/14733145.2012.678270.
- Henton, I. (2012). Counselling psychology and practice-based research: A critical review and proposal. Counselling Psychology Review, 27(3), pp. 11–28.
- Henton, I. (2011). The marriage of practice and science. Therapy Today, 22(7) .
- Henton, I. An interpretative phenomenological analysis of counselling psychology trainees’ experiences of practice-based research training. (PhD Thesis)