Dr Gemma Collantes-Celador
- Dr Gemma Collantes-Celador
- +44 (0)20 7040 3635
Dr Collantes-Celador joined the Department in September 2008. Between 2006 and 2008 she was a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Barcelona Institute of International Studies (IBEI), Spain, where she also lectured on conflict and peace studies. She also completed traineeship programmes at the European Commission Humanitarian Aid Office (Brussels, 2001) and the Parliamentary Assembly of the Western European Union (Paris, 2000-2001).
Since joining City University London she has also taught as Visiting Lecturer at IBEI (2008-2009) and at the 4th EADI International Summer School on "Recent Perspectives on Development Cooperation, Peace and Conflict", hosted by HEGOA Institute/University of the Basque Country, September 2008.
PhD in International Politics, University of Wales, Aberystwyth (now University of Aberystwyth), 2006
MSc Theory and History of International Relations, LSE, 1999
MA (Honours) Politics, University of Edinburgh, 1998
Membership of Professional Bodies
Association for the Study of Nationalities (ASN)
International Studies Association (ISA)
British International Studies Association (BISA)
University Association for Contemporary European Studies (UACES)
Dr Collantes-Celador is one of the convenors of the BISA South East Europe Working Group. She is also a member of the Editorial Board for the Working Paper series of the International Catalan Institute for Peace (ICIP).
Current Research Grants
Completed Research Grants
2007 – Co-Principal Investigator (with Dr Eduard Soler i Lecha, CIDOB Foundation, Barcelona) for the project “Fostering EU Strategies on Police Reform in the Mediterranean: Learning from Turkish and Palestinian Experiences”, funded by EuroMeSCo and carried out with partner institutions TESEV, Istanbul; CITpax, Madrid; PANORAMA, Ramallah.
- European security
- Post-conflict peace interventions
- Security sector reform
- Western Balkans
- Mr Niloy Biswas
- Thesis title
- Actors and security in a transitional democracy: exploring the implications of the role of donors and civil society organizations (CSOs) in reforming civilian security institutions in Bangladesh
- Mr Hisham Sabbagh
- Thesis title
- Failed peace or failed mediation? An analysis of the role of the United States in mediating the Syrian-Israeli peace negotiations, 1991-2000
- Mr Neil Wilson
- Thesis title
- UNHCR, Urban Refugees and the Governance of Global Displacement
- Collantes-Celador, G. and Juncos, A.E. (2012). The EU and Border Management in the Western Balkans: Preparing for European Integration or Safeguarding EU External Borders?. Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies, 12(2), 201-220. doi: 10.1080/14683857.2012.686250
- Ioannides, I. and Collantes-Celador, G. (Sep 2011). The Internal-External Security Nexus and EU Police/Rule of Law Missions in the Western Balkans. Conflict, Security & Development, 11(4), 415-445.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (2009). Becoming ‘European’ through Police Reform: a Successful Strategy in Bosnia and Herzegovina?. Crime, Law and Social Change, 51(2), 231-242. doi: 10.1007/s10611-008-9157x
- Collantes-Celador, G. (2007). La Contribucion del Concepto de Seguridad Humana a los Balcanes Occidentales (The Contribution of the Concept of Human Security to the Western Balkans). Revista CIDOB d’Afers Internacionals, 76, 97-121.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (2005). Police Reform: Peacebuilding through ‘Democratic Policing’?. International Peacekeeping, 12(3), 364-376. doi: 10.1080/13533310500074184
- Collantes-Celador, G. (May 2013). Las Empresas Militares y de Seguridad Privadas durante y despues de los Conflictos de los Balcanes Occidentales: “Amenaza” o “Fuerza Bienhechora”? (Private Military and Security Companies during and after the Wars of the Western Balkans: A “Menace” or a “Force for Good”?). Garcia, C. and Pareja, P. (Ed.), Seguridad Inc. Las Empresas Militares y de Seguridad Privadas en las Relaciones Contemporaneas (Security Inc. Private Military and Security Companies in Contemporary Relations) (pp. 121-146) Edicions Bellaterra. ISBN: 8472906205.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (11 Jan 2013). Civil Society and the Bosnian Police Certification Process: Challenging ‘the Guardians. Bojicic-Dzelilovic, V., Ker-Lindsay, J. and Kostovicova, D. (Ed.), Civil Society and Transitions in the Western Balkans (pp. 177-195) Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN: 1137296259.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (Oct 2012). La UE en la Negociacion, Revision e Implementacion del Estatuto de Roma – Sus Limites como “Actor Global Dinamico y Eficaz” (The EU in the Negotiation, Revision and Implementation of the Rome Statute – Its Limits as an “Effective and Dynamic Global Player”). Barbe, E. (Ed.), Cambio Mundial y Gobernanza Global: La Interaccion entre la Union Europea y las Instituciones Internacionales (World Change and Global Governance: The EU’s Interaction with International Institutions) (pp. 142-159) Editorial Tecnos. ISBN: 843095600X.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (11 Feb 2012). Not There Yet - Spain's Security Strategy from a Human Security Perspective. Kaldor, M., Martin, M. and Serra, N. (Ed.), National, European and Human Security: From Co-existence to Convergence (pp. 89-109) Routledge. ISBN: 0415680794.
- Collantes-Celador, G. and Juncos, A.E. (16 Jan 2011). Security Sector Reform in the Western Balkans: The Challenge of Coherence and Effectiveness. Ekengren, M. and Simons, G. (Ed.), The Politics of Security Sector Reform: Challenges and Opportunities for the European Union's Global Role (pp. 127-154) Ashgate Pub Co. ISBN: 1409410285.
- Berdal, M., Collantes-Celador, G. and Zupcevic Buzadzic, M. (08 Jul 2011). Post-War Violence in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Berdal, M., Suhrke, A. and Suhrke, A. (Ed.), The Peace in Between: Post-War Violence and Peacebuilding (pp. 75-94) Routledge. ISBN: 0415609321.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (Feb 2008). Police Co-operation in the Field of Counter-Terrorism: The Continuity of a Bottom-Up Approach. Barbe, E. (Ed.), Spain in Europe 2004-2008 (pp. 69-74) Institut Universitari d´Estudis Europeus (Bellaterra). ISBN: 8469115618.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (Jun 2008). The EU and the Kosovo Challenge. CIDOB Foundation, and IEMed, (Ed.), Med. 2008 – Mediterranean Yearbook (pp. 163-167) CIDOB Foundation/IEMed.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (Dec 2008). The EU and its Policy towards Security Sector Reform: a New Example of the "Conceptual-Contextual" Divide?. Soler i Lecha, E. and Carbonell Agustin, L. (Ed.), 6th International Seminar on Security and Defence in the Mediterranean (pp. 153-163) CIDOB Foundation/Edicions Bellaterra.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (03 Dec 2007). Police Reform: Peace-building through Democratic Policing. Chandler, D. (Ed.), Peace Without Politics? Ten Years of State-Building in Bosnia (pp. 58-70) Routledge. ISBN: 0415463823.
- Collantes-Celador, G. (Feb 2006). The Role of Police Reform in Peacebuilding Missions: Lessons from Post-Dayton Bosnia and Herzegovina. (PhD Thesis).
- Collantes-Celador, G., Soler i Lecha, E., Reigeluth, S., Aytar, V. and Arican, M. (Jan 2008). Fostering an EU Strategy for Security Sector Reform in the Mediterranean: Learning from Turkish and Palestinian Police Reform Experiences. Lisbon: EuroMeSCo.
- Collantes-Celador, G. and Juncos, A.E. (2007). Security Sector Reform in the Western Balkans: the Challenge of Coordination and Long-Term Strategy in Ekengren.
- Collantes-Celador, G. and Juncos, A.E. The Reform of Border Management in the Western Balkans Safeguarding EU External Borders or Preparing for European Integration?.
- Collantes-Celador, G. and Williams, G.H. (2007). Engineering Peace: the Military Role in Postconflict Reconstruction (Book Review). Washington, D.C.: United States Institute of Peace Press.
- Collantes-Celador, G. The European Union Police Mission: The Beginning of a New Future for Bosnia and Herzegovina? (Working Paper no. 9). Barcelona: Barcelona Institute of International Studies.
- IP2025 Security Studies: Contemporary and Emerging Issues
- IP3027 The Theory and Practice of Conflict and Peace
- The Democratisation of the Police in Bosnia and Herzegovina: Achievements and Shortcomings, University of Roehampton, London 2012, International workshop on “Police Reform and Human Rights in the Western Balkans”
- The Reform of Border Management in the Western Balkans: Safeguarding EU External Borders or Preparing for European Integration?, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia 2008, 2nd Global International Studies Conference (WISC), World International Studies Committee
- Europeanising’ Bosnia: The Fabrication of Statehood through Police Reform, 2011, British International Studies Association (BISA) 2011 Conference
- Seguridad Humana desde la Perspectiva de la Unión Europea (Human Security and The EU), HEGOA Institute, University of the Basque Country, Bilbao 2008, Seminar on “Seguridad Humana: Fundamentos Teóricos y Aplicaciones (II)” (Human Security: Conceptual Underpinnings and Applications (II))
- War Criminals in the Police – The Role of Civil Society in Vetting Processes (Single authored paper presented), St. Anthony’s College, University of Oxford 2010, Workshop on the role of civil society in the Western Balkans LSE - organized by LSEE, LSE Global Governance and SEESOX
- . EU Police Strategies Abroad: An Overview, Istanbul 2007, 2nd Istanbul Conference on Democracy and Global Security
- Becoming ‘European’ through Police Reform: a Successful Strategy in Bosnia and Herzegovina?, New York 2009, 2009 International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Convention
- Security Sector Reform in the Western Balkans, Stockholm 2007, Conference on “The European Union and Security Sector Reform organised by the Swedish National Defence College and the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF)”
- The police restructuring process in Bosnia: Statehood under Challenge?, New York 2011, 15th Annual World Convention of the Association for the Study of Nationalities (ASN)
- The European Union and Police Reform: Lessons from the Bosnian Case, Istanbul 2006, 3rd ECPR Pan-European Conference on EU Politics
- The Reform of Border Management in the Western Balkans: Safeguarding EU External Borders or Preparing for EU Integration?, University of Leicester 2009, BISA Annual Conference
- Developing Human Security in War-Torn Societies: What Contribution can ‘Democratic Policing’ Make?, The Hague 2004, 5th ECPR Pan-European International Relations Conference
- Internal-External Security Nexus: A Stumbling Block to EU Police Missions in the Western Balkans, Bruges 2010, University Association for Contemporary European Studies (UACES) Conference “Exchanging Ideas on Europe”
- International Civilian Police Missions in War-Torn Societies: Lessons from Bosnia and Herzegovina, New York 2003, 8th ASN Annual World Convention
- International Civilian Police Missions in War-Torn Societies: From Theory to Practice in Bosnia and Kosovo, Konjic, Bosnia and Herzegovina 2002, 5th International Seminar, Institute for Strengthening Democracy in Bosnia
- The Responsibility and Legitimacy of the UN during the Certification Process of the Bosnian Police, Department of Law, University Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona May 2011, Guest Lecturer
- Member of the European Journal for International Relations (EJIR) Prize Committee for the best EJIR article, awarded at the 7th Pan-European Conference in International Relations, Stockholm, 9-11 September 2010
- Member of the Editorial Board for the Working Paper series, International Catalan Institute for Peace (ICIP)
- War criminals and the collapse of the former Yugoslavia, 04 Oct 2007 on Catalunya Radio, Barcelona. Radio interview.