Claire de Than
Claire de Than graduated in Law and Politics from the University of London in 1991 then again in 1993 with an LLM. She then held lectureships at the University of East London and at the University of London and was senior lecturer at the University of Westminster before joining City in 2002. Her teaching fields include criminal law, tort, equity and human rights. Her research interests are primarily in human rights and international law, although she has also published articles on feminism, equity and criminal law. She is the joint author of 'Civil Liberties: Legal Principles of Individual Freedom', 'Human Rights Law in the UK', 'International Criminal Law and Human Rights' and other books, and is a regular contributor to the Journal of Criminal Law.
- criminal law
- comparative criminal law
- international criminal law
- national and international financial crime and fraud law
- media law
- UK and international human rights law
- equity and trusts
- legal history
- interdisciplinary fields involving law
- Elvin, J.D. and De Than, C. (Dec 2010). Skills Assumptions in Humanities and Social Sciences. The International Journal of Learning, 17(8), 217-226.
- de Than, C. and Elliott, C. (Apr 2009). Restructuring the Homicide Offences to Tackle Violence, Discrimination and Drugs in a Modern Society. King's Law Journal, 20(1), 69-88.
- Elliott, C. and de Than, C. (2007). The case for a rational reconstruction of the concept of consent in criminal law’. The Modern Law Review, 70(2), 225.
- Elliott, C. and de Than, C. (2006). Prosecuting the drug dealer when a drug user dies: R v Kennedy (No. 2). Modern Law Review, 69(6), 986.
- de Than, C. and Elvin, J. (). Skills Assumptions in Humanities and Social Sciences. The International Journal of Learning, 17(8), 217-226.
- Than, C.D., Smith, H. and de Than, C. (22 May 2012). Understand Human Rights: A Teach Yourself Guide. McGraw-Hill. ISBN: 007176948X.
- Heaton, R., Than, C.D. and de Than, C. (01 Dec 2010). Criminal Law. Oxford Univ Pr. ISBN: 0199234124.
- Shorts, E., Than, C.D. and de Than, C. (28 Jul 2009). Human rights. Pearson Longman. ISBN: 1405859636.
- Than, C.D., Shorts, E. and de Than, C. (2003). International criminal law and human rights. ISBN: 0421722509.
- Than, C.D., Shorts, E. and de Than, C. (13 Nov 2002). Public law and human rights 2002-2003. ISBN: 0421786809.
- Shorts, E., Than, C.D. and de Than, C. (2001). Human rights law in the UK. ISBN: 0421754605.
- Shorts, E., Than, C.D., de Than, C. and de Than, C. (1998). Civil liberties.
- de Than, C. (28 Nov 2011). Provoking a range of responses: the provocation defence in British overseas territories and Crown dependencies. Bohlander, M. and Reed, A. (Ed.), Loss of Control and Diminished Responsibility: Domestic, Comparative and International Perspectives (pp. ) (2011). Ashgate. ISBN: 1409431754.
- de Than, C. and Elvin, J. (2011). Skills Assumptions in Legal Education. Frenkel, D. (Ed.), Legal Theory, Practice and Education (pp. 25-38) (1st). Athens: ATINER.