Dr Carolina Matos
Dr Carolina Matos is a journalist, lecturer and researcher with more than 20 years of professional experience; 10 years as a full-time journalist in Brazil and over 10 years working in universities throughout the UK. Dr Matos obtained her PhD in Media and Communications from Goldsmiths College, University of London, in 2007 with no corrections.
Before joining the Sociology department at City University London, Dr Matos was a part-time lecturer in the Government department at the University of Essex, and previously an LSE Fellow in Political Communications. Dr Matos was a LSE Expert and Visiting Fellow at the Media and Communications department at the London School of Economics and Political Science, as well as a visiting lecturer at Goldsmiths College, University of East London (UEL) and St. Mary's University College, Twickenham. Her research is multidisciplinary, drawing from Media and Communications, Politics, Sociology and Latin American and Brazilian Studies.
Dr Matos has taught in the areas of media and democracy, political communications, international relations and the media, political economy of the media and globalisation and, the mass media. Her research is situated in the areas of comparative political communications, media and democracy, globalization and development, international communications and journalism. She published the books Media and politics in Latin America: globalization, democracy and identity (I.B. Tauris, 2012) and Journalism and political democracy in Brazil (Lexington Books, 2008) as well as many other articles and chapters as well as journalistic work.
Dr Matos obtained a postgraduate certificate in teaching in UK HE from the LSE in June 2011, having also taught at the LSE Executive as well as having done consultancy work for the LSE Enterprise. Over the last couple of years, Dr Matos has presented at the 2011 Waltham Literature and Arts Festival in Leytonstone-East End, at the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism at the University of Oxford in 2012, at the International Journalism Week at Sheffield University in 2012 and has taken part in the University of Cambridge's department of History and Philosophy's ESRC funded project, Economics in Europe in a Comparative Perspective entitled "Interrogating Economics in the Public Sphere", in April 2013. Dr Matos was a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Helsinki, Finland and has given many university talks throughout Brazil, such as UFF, UFRJ and UERJ.
Dr Matos has given interviews to the press, including the newspaper De Standard, BBC Mundo and to the Brazilian media. As a journalist, she has worked for various newspapers in the areas of politics, culture and international news as well as for Folha, Globo Organisations, Reuters and UNESCO.
- Research day organiser
- Masters programme research day/workshop
- Teaching observation coordinator
- Media work/appearances
- International Communications and Development, especially the role of the media for national and international development
- Political journalism and democracy, such as the debate on journalism cultures, professionalism and objectivity and online journalism and new media
- Gender, globalization and communications, especially issues of global and local inequality, empowerment of disadvantaged groups and social inclusion.
- Matos, C. (2012). Media democratization in Brazil and future challenges. Journal of Critical Sociology.
- Matos, C. (2011). Media and democracy. Westminster Papers in Communication and Culture.
- Matos, C. (2009). Comparing Media Systems: the role of the public media in the digital age. The Global Studies Journal, 2(3).
- Matos, C. (2004). Lula is pop!: an analysis of a celebrity politician. Journal of Culture and Communications of the Federal University of Bahia.
- Matos, C. (2013). Midia e politica na America Latina: democracia, globalizacao e identidade. Editora Civilizacao Brasileira.
- Matos, C. (2012). Media and politics in Latin America: globalization, democracy and identity. London: I.B.Tauris. ISBN: 1848856121.
- Matos, C. (2009). Journalism and Political Democracy in Brazil. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. ISBN: 0739123513.
- Matos, C. (2008). Jornalismo e política democrática no Brasil. Sao Paulo: Publifolha.
- Matos, C. (2015). Media reform in Latin America revisited: where do we go from here?. Steemers, J. and Flew, T. (Ed.), Media Policy
- Matos, C. (01 Sep 2014). Public service broadcasting and media reform in Brazil in comparative perspective. Guerrero, M.A. and Márquez-Ramírez, M. (Ed.), Media Systems and Communication Policies in Latin America
- Matos, C. (2014). The Internet for the Public Interest: Overcoming the digital divide in Brazil. Martens, C., McChesney, R. and Vivaveres, E. (Ed.), Regional responses to media regulation: the International Political Economy of Media in South America London: algrave Macmillan.
- Matos, C. (2014). Public communications and regulation. Guerrero, M.A. and Ramirez, M.M. (Ed.), Globalization, Media Policies and Markets in Latin America London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Matos, C. (2013). Media and globalization in Brazil. Nederveen Pieterse, J. and Cardoso, A. (Ed.), Brazil Emerging: Inequality and Emancipation New York: Routledge.
- Matos, C. (2012). Globalization and the mass media. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Globalization Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Matos, C. (2001). Isaac Julien. Allon, Y. (Ed.), Contemporary British and Irish Film Directors (pp. ) New York: Wallflower Press. ISBN: 1903364213.
- Matos, C. (2013). Television, entertainment and the public interest. ICA London Conference, , London.
- Matos, C. (2013). Inequality and emancipation: Brazil’s changing role in the world. Pre-ICA London Conference, , London.
- Matos, C. (2013). Gender politics, blogging and the 2010 Brazilian elections. Political Studies Association (PSA) Conference, , Cardiff.
- Matos, C. (2013). Public service broadcasting and media reform in Brazil in comparative perspective. 2013 IAMCR Conference, , Dublin.
- Matos, C. (2008). Partisanship and professionalism: the role of the journalist in the democratization process. US-Brazil (BRASA IX) conference, , Tulane University, New Orleans USA.
- Matos, C. (2008). Between crisis and cultural emancipation: re-evaluating the role of the public media in the digital age. 5th year anniversary of the Media and Communications Department, , LSE, London.
- Matos, C. Journalism cultures in the public sphere: a look at Brazilian economic journalism. "Interrogating Economics in the Public Sphere", April 2013, project funded by the ESRC., 18 Apr 2013, University of Cambridge.
- Matos, C. (2014). The colourful reality of Brazilian society – it’s more than football and samba Retrieved from: [publisher's website]
- Matos, C. Media and politics in Latin America: globalization, democracy and identity.
- Matos, C. Academia.edu.
- SGM223 Communication, culture and development
- SGM230 Issues in media and communication research