About the School
The School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering is immensely proud of its record of educating thousands of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) undergraduates and postgraduates, while making valuable research advances. The three disciplines (mathematics, computer science and engineering) are vital to progress in technology and the prosperity of our nation.
Successive UK governments, in their plans for economic growth, have recognised that jobs of the future will increasingly rely upon those with the capabilities and skills that a STEM education can provide. The demand for high quality STEM graduates continues to exceed supply. Our school works ever-closely with professional institutions and City has the reputation of graduates being fast-tracked towards professional qualifications.
Today the school is home to over 1,900 undergraduate students, 600 postgraduate taught students, 300 research students, 40 research staff, 115 academic staff and 60 professional support staff.
Our vision encompasses:
- Attracting gifted and highly-motivated students from around the globe, who are curiosity-driven, hungry to fully engage with their studies and much sought-after by employers upon graduation. We care deeply about empowering our students with a lasting appreciation for science, mathematics and professional ethics. We do this by providing an exceptional learning experience, with coherent, relevant and exciting curricula where the connection between taught modules is understood not just by students, but all staff.
- Providing a stimulating, friendly community of enthusiastic, energetic scholars where intellectual discourse, scientific rigor, innovation and enquiring minds are cherished such that we can successfully recruit, retain and support world-leading academics and professional support staff.
- Being recognised as a highly-effective and creative player in engineering design and software development in this exciting region of Central London. As part of this we have built valuable partnerships with our immediate neighbours in Clerkenwell, TechCity, the Financial District and the Knowledge Quarter.
- Working closely with our ever-expanding body of loyal alumni; they are superb ambassadors for our School and exceptional mentors to our students.
Led by the Dean, the School leadership team is responsible for development and implementation of the School strategic plan, and the development of supporting initiatives to increase the intensity and quality of our research and enterprise, and improve our education provision.
School Leadership Team
- Dean: Professor Roger Crouch
- Deputy Dean: Professor Sanowar Khan
- Chief Operating Officer: Mr Richard Basch
- Associate Dean Research: Professor Panicos Kyriacou
- Associate Dean for Postgraduate Studies: Professor Abdulnaser Sayma
- Associate Dean Education: Dr Cristina Gacek