Borrowing and Renewing
You will need your University ID card to borrow items from the library. Self-service machines are provided at Northampton Square and Cass. At other sites, you may borrow books from the library service desk. Reserved items can be collected from the service desk.
The table below summarises the maximum number of loans permitted to different types of library user:
|Undergraduate students||15 items|
|Postgraduate students||15 items|
|Research students||20 items|
|Students on validated courses||15 items|
|University staff||20 items|
[subscription borrowers, SCONUL Access and alumni]
[No 3 day or 24 hour loan items]
Loan periods and overdue fines
A range of loan periods and overdue fines are applied to library stock determined by locations and level of demand for the item.
|Normal loan: 3 weeks
(staff and research students: 14 weeks)
|30p per day|
|7 day loan||50p per day|
|3 day loan||75p per day|
|24 hour loan (University Library)||50p per hour|
Short loan items cannot be renewed and must be returned to the library from which they were borrowed by the stated time to avoid overdue fines.
Renew your loans
You may renew your books online using the library catalogue. Use your IT username and password to access your library account.
You will be unable to renew your books if....
- Your books have been requested by another user
- You have accrued fines of £25 or more
- There is a block on your library account (including expired ID cards)
- It is a short loan item
When it has not been possible to renew, items must be returned by the due date to avoid incurring fines.
- You are responsible for ensuring items are returned or renewed on or before the due date
- Any item is liable for recall at any time if requested by another reader, and to amendment of the due date. Notification will be given by email. Fines will apply if items are not returned by the amended due date.
- You are responsible for all items borrowed until they are returned and cleared from your library account.
A courtesy email reminder will be sent when there are overdue items on your account. Please ensure the email address on your library account is correct. A bill for replacement cost will be sent for long overdue items.
Completing your course
Students completing their course are requested to ensure all library loans are returned and any overdue fines cleared within 3 working days of their last exam or coursework submission date.
4 weeks after course completion dates, we will contact students with outstanding loans or fines on their library account and pass these details to Registry Services. Until your library accountis cleared of loans and fines, your degree certificate will be withheld.