Conferences and events
The Jackson Reforms and Expansion of Fixed Costs
The main Jackson Reforms came into force on the 1st April 2013.
This one-off seminar worth 3 CPD points will outline the key elements of the reforms including all updates since 1st April.
It will provide the essential details about the practical workings of Lord Justice Jackson's package of reforms including:
• Extension of RTA protocol
• Case Management
• Costs Management
• Part 36
• Qualified One Way Costs Shifting (QOCS)
• Damages-Based Agreements and
• Conditional Fee Agreements
Speaker: We are delighted to have Stuart Sime as the speaker for this event, the co-author of the new Blackstone's Guide to the Civil Justice Reforms 2013.
Those attending this event will receive a FREE copy of this indispensable guide (RRP £39.99) - 'This Guide is exactly what the profession requires. The authors have analysed the changes in the Act, the secondary legislation and the Civil Procedure Rules in a clear and systematic way, making it easy to understand the changes and their impact.' Mr Justice Ramsey, Royal Courts of Justice.
Don't miss out on this essential seminar from a leading expert - Register now for just £99 in order to guarantee your place and FREE copy of the book (subject to availability). To book a place click here.
Venue: Atkin Building, Gray's Inn Place
Date: Wednesday 22nd May
Time: 6 - 8pm followed by Q&A and networking
Stuart Sime is an editor and author for Blackstone`s Civil Practice (OUP). He is also the author of A Practical Approach to Civil Procedure OUP, 14th ed. 2011 and Blackstone`s Guide to the Civil Procedure Rules and a co-author of A Practical Approach to ADR (OUP). He is the editor for The City Law School's manual on Company Law, and has contributed to the manuals on civil litigation, company law, advocacy, case preparation, opinion writing and evidence. He is also a Professor of Law.
MS in Law and International Management
The City Law School is to work with the ESCP-EAP European School of Management to deliver part of the MS in Law and International Management to students from the Paris-based institution.
The MS in Law and International Management is a programme designed specifically for lawyers who want to learn how to interact with management in a more strategic way. The well-established programme is supported by an advisory committee made up of practising lawyers in private practice and in-house heads of legal departments.
Students on the ESCP-EAP MS in Law and International Management will spend one month in London at The City Law School, where they will gain an insight into English law as part of their course. Those who pass their assessments at The City Law School at the end of the month will receive a certificate from The City Law School and will be able to apply, following graduation, for one of The City Law School's LLM programmes.
Recent conferences & events have included:
- Courtroom Skills & Report Writing for Experts
- Inaugural International Conference on Practising Law
- Ethicability® Workshop - delivered by Roger Steare, Corporate Philosopher and Professor of Organisational Ethics
- Association of Law Cost Draftsman - Higher Rights a two day event.
Intermediaries - Excellence in practice.
- Women in Law and Business - Getting Return on your Returners. A conference for leaders in HR and Equality and Diversity, jointly hosted with Cass Business School.
- The Legal profession as it is today - A conference for Independent Schools Careers Officers.
- Victims and Witnesses - raw deal or fair treatment. A conference to share best practice on the treatment of victims and witnesses.
If you would like to run a conference at the school, please contact us.