LLB, LLM (Athens), LLM (UCL), Advocate (Athens)
Lecturer in Law
Tel: +44 (0)20 7404 5787 Ext: 374
Danae (or Danai) Azaria joined The City Law School in April 2010, after having taught at UCL Laws (Teaching Fellow, 2007, 2009). Danae is completing her PhD in law at UCL entitled 'Transit of Energy under Public International Law: Multi-angularity and State Responsibility' (April 2012).
Danae studied law in Thessaloniki, Athens, Strasbourg and London on full scholarships by the Hellenic State Scholarship Foundation and the Academy of Athens. She was full scholar of the Rhodes Academy of the Oceans Law and Policy, the EU Asylum and Immigration Law and Policy (Odysseus Network, Université Libre de Bruxelles) and the Tulane Law School. During her studies, she has worked as researcher for the Permanent Mission of Greece to the Council of Europe (Press Bureau), the European Parliament (for a member of the Parliament), the Human Rights Defence Centre (Greece) and the British Institute for International and Comparative Law.
Prior to joining The City Law School and in parallel with her PhD studies, she interned at the Financial Markets Law Committee at the Bank of England (2007) and the Energy Charter Secretariat, Directorate for Trade and Transit (2009).
Danae is an advocate with the Athens Bar in Greece and has been member of the Committee on Infrastructure of the Institute of Energy of South-East Europe. She was expert for the Council of Europe (Directorate General - Legal Affairs, Committee of Experts on Transnational Criminal Justice (PC-TJ)) and has given expert advice to members of the World Trade Organisation (negotiations on Trade Facilitation) and parties to the Energy Charter Treaty.
Danae's research covers numerous aspects of public international law, with particular focus on the law of state responsibility, the law of treaties, international energy law, international organisations and human rights.
- Combating Human Trafficking, Problems and Prospects, associate editor for Human Rights Defence Centre (Sakkoulas, Athens 2007).
Articles and Book Contributions
- 'Energy Transit under the Energy Charter Treaty and the General Agreement for Tariffs and Trade', 27(4) Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law (2009) 557-593. A summary may be found on the WTO website, academic forum on the 2010 WTO Report on Natural Resources:
- 'Minimum standards of protection to individuals involved in transnational proceedings', in Extradition - European Standards (Council of Europe, 2007).
- 'The Nature of the Iraqi Special Tribunal: Re-definition of the Relationship between the International and National Legal Order', in International Criminal Justice as a Mechanism for the Promotion of International Law, (ILA - Hellenic Branch, 2006) [in Greek].
- 'Code of Minimum Standards of Protection to individuals involved in Transnational Proceedings', Expert Report, PC-TJ (2005) 07, Council of Europe, European Committee on Crime Problems (CDPC), Committee of Experts on Transnational Criminal Justice (PC-TJ), Strasbourg, 16 September 2005.
- 'New energy frontiers: what role for hydro-carbons in global energy security?', Wilton Park Conference, June 2011 (Conference Report).
Conference Papers and Presentations
- 'Triangular Relationships under Public International Law: Stuck Between Bilateralism and Collectivism', City Law School (forthcoming, 21 March 2012).
- 'Transit of Energy under Public International Law: Bilateralism Revisited?', Seminar Series, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, (Oxford, UK, 17 November 2010).
- 'The Impact of Energy Security on the Settlement of Disputes Concerning Transit of Energy', Annual Conference on Energy Security, British Institute of International and Comparative Law, (London, UK, 11 June 2010).
- 'Transit of Energy under International Law', UCL Faculty of Laws, Seminar Series (London, UK, November 2009).
- 'Limitations to Legal Transplantation: The Energy Charter Treaty and the GATT, Osgoode Hall Law School (Toronto, Canada, May 2008).
- LLM in Public International Law (convenor)
- LLM in International Energy Litigation (convenor)
- LLB (Public International Law)
Danae welcomes approaches for supervision from prospective PhD students in the areas of:
- public international law
- the law of treaties
- the law of international responsibility
- international energy law
- the law of the sea
- international human rights law