You may be required to register with the police within 7 days of arrival in the UK. This requirement will be written on your UK visa.
Check if you need to register with the Police
Nationals from certain countries may be required to register with the Police within 7 days of arrival in the UK.
You’ll be told if you need to register with the police on one of the following documents:
- your entry visa vignette (if you’re travelling to the UK)
- your biometric residence permit (BRP)
- the Home Office letter that approved your application for leave
It is important that you read any letters from the UK Visa and Immigration Service carefully to see if you need to register. If it is written in the letter it is a legal requirement of your visa.
If you are required to register with the Police, you will need to obtain a Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO).
Please go to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) with the following documents:
If you fail to complete your Police Registration you are in breach of your visa conditions and the University will not be able to let you continue with your course.
Please note the 2016 process has now closed. If you need to register with the police please follow the steps above. We will post details of the 2017 process in summer 2017.
The Metropolitan Police have set up a system which allows the University to help students register with the Police. Students who use the new system do NOT need to go to the OVRO within 7 days of collecting their visa: instead, you will go to OVRO at a specific time on Saturday 5th November 2016.
If you would like the University to help you to register with the Police, you must submit all of the required documents listed below to the Student Centre before 5pm on Thursday 13th October 2016.
1. Complete the 'Police Registration Proforma' document online and print out a copy.
For the proforma:
- Complete the proforma online, print it out and sign it, making sure your signature is within the box
- Put your first name and surname exactly as shown on your passport
- Put your port of entry in the Place of Arrival field e.g. London Heathrow, not “London”
- Full name and Address of University: City University London, 10 Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
- UK Residential Address: your current address in London
- Staple the photo to the form
- Complete the form hand-written (it MUST be completed online except the signature)
- Use a Mac computer, the form only works on Windows.
2. One UK passport sized photo (45mm x 35mm)
3. Copy of your passport
4. Copy of your 30-day entry clearance sticker in your passport with the date of entry stamp (so do not make this copy until you have arrived in the UK)
5. Copy of your BRP card, both the front and back of the BRP is required. If the BRP is not available, a copy of the overseas grant letter showing your conditions of stay is acceptable.
6. If you have a previous Police Registration Certificate in a good condition and have not been out of the UK for more than 12 months, please provide this to save paying for a new certificate.
Once you have handed in above documents to the Student Centre, we will provide you with a confirmation letter acknowledging receipt of your documents and we will send these to the OVRO.
You will then have to visit the OVRO to complete your registration in person on Saturday 5th November 2016 at an allocated appointment time stated on the confirmation letter. When you visit the OVRO, you must bring the following documents:
- Original passport
- Original BRP visa card
- £34 to be paid in cash or by credit/debit cards (American Express is not accepted), or no charge if you already have a PRC
If you fail to complete your Police Registration you are in breach of your visa conditions and the University will not be able to let you continue with your course, and you will be fined £5,000 and jailed for 6 months.
- OVRO address: Southwark Police Station, 323 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JL
- Nearest tube station: Borough (on the Northern Line).
- Opening hours: 9am - 4pm Monday to Wednesday and Friday (except Public and Bank Holidays), and closed on Wednesday 19th and Friday 28th October 2016.
You should keep your Police Registration Certificate in a safe place at home - you do not need to carry it with you every day. However, you should remember to take it if you travel outside the UK as you may be asked to show it at Immigration controls.
If your circumstances change whilst you are here in the UK, you will need to tell the Police and update your Police Registration Certificate within 7 days. There is no charge for this. If you fail to do this it is a breach of your immigration conditions and you could face a fine or prison sentence.
For all changes to circumstances, you need to go to the OVRO in Borough. If you are out of the UK for more than 12 months, your PRC is no longer valid and you will need to pay for a new one.
The following changes which should be recorded include:
- Visa extension
- Change of course
- Change of address
- Change of name
- Getting a new passport
- Getting married or divorced
Change of address can be done at your local police station
If you are living in London and only need to change your address, then you can update this information at a local police station. The nearest police station from main campus is Islington Police Station, 2 Tolpuddle Street, London N1 0YY.