International students
  1. My Country
  2. Living in London
  3. Visa & immigration
  4. Exchange & Study Abroad Programme
  5. Pathway programmes
  6. Pre-arrival Guide
  7. International Students Guide
  1. Full-time Tier 4 student visa
  2. Police Registration
International students

Police Registration

You may be required to register with the police within 7 days of arrival in the UK. This requirement will be written on your UK visa.

Check if you need to register with the Police

Nationals from certain countries may be required to register with the Police within 7 days of arrival in the UK.

You’ll be told if you need to register with the police on one of the following documents:

  • your entry visa vignette (if you’re travelling to the UK)
  • your biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • the Home Office letter that approved your application for leave

It is important that you read any letters from the UK Visa and Immigration Service carefully to see if you need to register. If it is written in the letter it is a legal requirement of your visa.

If you are required to register with the Police, you will need to obtain a Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO).

How to register with the Police for the first time

Please go to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) with the following documents:

  • Download and complete the 'Police Registration Proforma' online and print out a copy
  • One UK passport sized photo (45mm x 35mm)
  • Original passport
  • Original Entry Clearance visa (sticker inside of your passport) or BRP visa card
  • Letter confirming that you a required to register with the Police (if it is not noted on your visa)
  • £34 to be paid in cash or by credit/debit cards (American Express is not accepted)
  • If you fail to complete your Police Registration you are in breach of your visa conditions and the University will not be able to let you continue with your course, and you will be fined £5,000 and jailed for 6 months.

  • OVRO address: Southwark Police Station, 323 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JL
  • Nearest tube station: Borough (on the Northern Line).
  • Opening hours: 9am - 4pm Monday to Wednesday and Friday (except Public and Bank Holidays).
  • Keeping your Police Registration Certificate up-to-date

    You should keep your Police Registration Certificate in a safe place at home - you do not need to carry it with you every day. However, you should remember to take it if you travel outside the UK as you may be asked to show it at Immigration controls.

    If your circumstances change whilst you are here in the UK, you will need to tell the Police and update your Police Registration Certificate within 7 days. There is no charge for this. If you fail to do this it is a breach of your immigration conditions and you could face a fine or prison sentence.

    For all changes to circumstances, you need to go to the OVRO in Borough. If you are out of the UK for more than 12 months, your PRC is no longer valid and you will need to pay for a new one.

    The following changes which should be recorded include:

    • Visa extension
    • Change of course
    • Change of address
    • Change of name
    • Getting a new passport
    • Getting married or divorced

    Change of address can be done at your local police station

    If you are living in London and only need to change your address, then you can update this information at a local police station. The nearest police station from main campus is Islington Police Station, 2 Tolpuddle Street, London N1 0YY.

    Find us

    City, University of London

    Northampton Square

    London EC1V 0HB

    United Kingdom

    Back to top

    City, University of London is an independent member institution of the University of London. Established by Royal Charter in 1836, the University of London consists of 18 independent member institutions with outstanding global reputations and several prestigious central academic bodies and activities.