We offer options to study Arabic, French, German, Mandarin and Spanish from beginners to advanced level during the regular curriculum.
These classes are normally taken in addition to a full load of four courses and are typically credited at two US semester hours credit.
The following courses are normally available:
Course Content of Language Courses:
Language courses are intended to give a general knowledge of the language and aim to improve the students' communication skills. The content of all courses facilitates achievement of the learning objectives for the practice of the four language skills taught: writing, reading, speaking and listening. Although there is flexibility in content and focus, the courses emphasise the practical and the day to day use of the target language.
Language courses aim at developing the language skills and knowledge in the target language in relation to everyday life in the target culture.
The courses have the following objectives:
- To develop communication skills to exchange ideas and opinions in an independent way in the target language according to the level of the class attended.
- To develop listening comprehension in the target language.
- To develop reading comprehension to understand information from different text sources about a variety of subjects of general purposes in the target language.
- To develop written skills for formal and informal communication.
- To develop a better understanding of the target culture.
At the end of the course the student will be able to:
- Listening: demonstrate a range of vocabulary and grammatical structures and confidence in listening sufficient to isolate and understand relevant information from semi-scripted speech.
- Speaking: improve pronunciation and show enough confidence and accuracy in speaking to obtain specific and general information from simple written sources.
- Reading: understand vocabulary and grammatical structures in context adequately to obtain specific and general information from simple written sources.
- Writing: demonstrate enough accuracy and fluency of written language to convey simple information in writing.