International at City

  1. International Students
  2. International Partnerships
  1. Visa and Immigration Advice
  2. Tier 4 Dependant Visas

Tier 4 Dependant Visas

Who can bring dependants to the UK?

You can bring your husband, wife, unmarried partner, and children (under 18) to the UK with you if you are studying a postgraduate course of 12 months or more. If you are a government-sponsored student and studying a course at any level of 6 months or more, you can also bring your dependants to the UK. More information can be found on the UKCISA website.

You cannot bring other family members such as parents or siblings to the UK with you as your dependants, although they can come for short visits on Visitor visas.

What documents are required to apply for a Tier 4 Dependant visa?

  • Application form:
    • Applying in the UK: PBS Dependant online form 
    • Applying outside the UK: Tier 4 Dependant online form (When asked to 'Select Visa Type', you should select: 'Reason for Visit' = 'Study', 'Visa Type' = 'PBS Tier 4 Student', 'Visa Sub Type' = 'Tier 4 (General) Dependant Partner' or 'Tier 4 (General) Dependant Child')
  • Application fees:
    • Applying in the UK: £439 by post or £839 in person + £150 per year for health surcharge. Please read our Immigration Health Surcharge FAQs.
    • Applying outside the UK: £322 in local currency + £150 per year for health surcharge
  • Passport(s): You should submit any passports that you have ever used to enter the UK.
  • 2 photographs: UK passport size photos taken within the last month
  • Bank statements: Each dependant must show at least £5,535 or £1,230 if you qualify for the 'Reduced Maintenance' (£7,605 from 12 November 2015) in a bank account in their name or the student's name. This money must remain in your bank account for at least 1 month before you apply. Your bank statement must be dated within the last month. It is extremely important that you do not drop below this total amount even for one day or your visa will be refused. If you are not sure, it is essential that you check with the International Student Advice team before making your visa application.
  • Sponsor letter: If the student is sponsored by a government, an international company or a scholarship agency and their sponsorship cover their dependants, this must be clearly stated on the student's sponsor letter. Check to make sure that the sponsorship provides living expenses of at least £615 per month (£845 from 12 November 2015) for each dependant. If the sponsorship does not cover this amount, dependants will need to show the remainder in a bank account.
  • Police Registration certificates: If the dependant is already in UK, and is required to register with the police, you must submit an up-to-date police registration certificate including current visa status and address with your visa extension application.
  • Proof of address: If the dependent child is over the age of 16, they need to show two extra documents dated in the last month to confirm the dependant's residential address.
  • Proof of relationship: This is only a requirement for dependants applying for entry clearance from outside the UK. These dependants must show proof of relationship to the student such as marriage certificates and birth certificates.

If dependants are applying from outside the UK at a different time from the student, they should also provide:

  • Proof of student's visa status: Copies of the student's Tier 4 visa and passport details pages.
  • Proof of student's enrolment: A Student Status letter from the Student Centre confirming that the student is currently enrolled at the University.

Children born while you are in the UK

Birth in the UK does not automatically make a baby a British citizen. If you have a baby born in the UK who does not yet have immigration permission, the baby is in the UK lawfully without any immigration permission. However, the baby will need immigration permission to re-enter the UK after any travel abroad. Babies can apply for immigration permission as your dependant from either inside the UK or as entry clearance from your country of residence if you are government-sponsored on a course of more than six months OR you are on a postgraduate course of at least 12 months.

If you want them to make an application from inside the UK, they can do it using an online form. If you are applying at the same time as them, you will be listed on the form as the 'lead applicant' and they will be listed on the form as a 'dependant'. If you are not applying at the same time as them, they will be listed on the form as the 'lead applicant'.

Babies can apply for entry clearance as your dependant in the following circumstances:

  • the baby is born during your most recent period of Tier 4 or pre-Tier 4 student permission granted for a course of more than 6 months duration OR
  • the baby is born within three months of the expiry of your most recent Tier 4 or pre-Tier 4 student permission.