Prof. Robin Bloomfield
Phone: +44 (0)20 7490 9453
Room: A229 College Building
Professor of System and Software Dependability
Robin Bloomfield is Professor of Software and System Dependability at the City University, London. His research interests are in the dependability (reliability, safety, security) of computer-based systems. His work in safety in the past 20 yrs has combined policy formulation, technical consulting and underpinning research. Robin Bloomfield is involved in a wide range of projects and is currently the Industrial Liaison Director for a UK interdisciplinary research project on dependability (DIRC). He is a founder member of the consultancy Adelard and prior to this he worked in industry for the UK electricity utility (CEGB) where he was concerned with the design and validation of the control and safety systems of nuclear power stations. The post is shared with Peter Bishop and he spends part of his time with the consultancy Adelard that is co-located at City with the CSR..
Professor Bloomfield attended St John's College, Cambridge and holds an MA in Natural Sciences from Cambridge University and is also a chartered engineer. Prof Bloomfield has held a variety of professional and honorary posts. He has been chairman of the European Workshop on Industrial Computer Systems (EWICS), chairman of the Centre for Software Reliability Council, a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) advisory group on software important to nuclear safety, a member of UK Health and Safety Commission study group on software safety. He is currently a member of the CAA (Safety Regulation Group) Air Traffic System Safety Requirements Consultative Group. He is a member of the Information Assurance Advisory Council and a long term member of the Safecomp programme committee.
- Dependability and safety of software-based systems
- Operational Risk
- Safety and dependability cases
- Conservative models of reliability prediction
- Development process modelling
- Industrial Liaison Director for DIRC
Details of work in progress and current interests can be found here
Some recent publications:
- Bloomfield, R. E, "A descriptive model of failures in complex systems", Proceedings DSN 2003, Supplemental Volume, pp. B76-77, IEEE Computer Society, 2003.
- Bishop P.G. , Bloomfield R.E, Clement T.P., Guerra A.S.L and Jones C.C.M., "Integrity Static Analysis of COTS/SOUP", Proc SAFECOMP 2003, 23-26 Sept, pp. 63-76, Elsevier, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2003.
- Bloomfield, R.E and Littlewood, B., "Multi-legged Arguments: The Impact of Diversity upon Confidence in Dependability Arguments", Proceedings DSN 2003, pp. 25-34, IEEE Computer Society, ISBN 0-7695-1952-0, 2003.
- Bishop P.G. and Bloomfield R.E., "Using a Log-normal Failure Rate Distribution for Worst Case Bound Reliability Prediction", ISSRE 2003, 17-20 Nov., pp. 237-245, Denver, USA, 2003