Dr Bill Karakostas
Phone: +44 (0)20 7040 8411
Room: A202 College building
Position: Senior Lecturer
Bill joined the Centre in 2000 and is currently a senior lecturer. Prior to that, he was a research fellow and lecturer with the Department of Computation, UMIST in Manchester . Bill holds a degree in Computer Engineering and Informatics, from Patras University , Greece and both MSc and PhD in Software Engineering from University of Manchester . Bill has published over 100 research papers and two books on Systems Requirements Engineering and Model-Driven Service Engineering. He is a member of the ACM and IEEE Computer Society.
Bill's interests are in novel architectures and environments for collaboration at the machine (e.g. sensor), computer network and business process levels. This includes infrastructures based on pervasive, customizable services and distributed architectures based on the Cloud paradigm. Typical application areas include support for emergency response, service co-design in peer to peer and social computing environments (e.g. virtual communities) and collaborative distributed process execution in multi-enterprise environments such as transportation chains.
Key Publications 2004-2012
- Kardaras Dimitris and Bill Karakostas (2012). Services Customization Using Web Technologies, 346 pages IGI Global, ISBN13: 9781466616042, ISBN10: 1466616040, EISBN13: 9781466616059
- Karakostas, Bill & Zorgios, Yannis (2008).. Engineering Service Oriented Systems: A Model Driven Approach. IGI Global.
- Karakostas, Bill. "A High Performance Engine for Concurrent Complex Event Processing". To appear in the journal of Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience.
- Karakostas, B. A mobile architecture with dynamic message filtering for emergency response environments. To appear in Communications in Mobile Computing, Springer.
- Kardaras, D., Bill Karakostas & Xenia Mamakou. (2012). Content presentation personalisation and media adaptation in tourism web sites using Fuzzy Delphi Method and Fuzzy Cognitive Maps. Expert Systems With Applications. DOI information: 10.1016/j.eswa.2012.10.031.
- Karakostas, B. Takis Katsoulakos and Yannis Zorgios (2012) Towards an ICT Platform for the European Freight Transport Community. International Journal of Applied Logistics. Vol 3:2, Issue 2, (pages 53-58
- Karakostas, B.. (2012). Implementing robust workflow management in Erlang. International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems. April 2012.DOI: 10.1080/17445760.2012.661859
- Karakostas, B, & Yannis Zorgios (2011): Model-Driven Engineering of Composite Service Oriented Applications. IJITSA 4(1): 23-37.
- Karakostas, B, Dimitris Kardaras, Adéla Zichová: (2010). The Role of Virtual Communities in the Customization of e-Services. International journal of Virtual Communities and Social Networking 2(1): 35-51 (2010).
- Karakostas, B. (2009) Context-aware mobile coordination system for emergency response. Journal of Emergency Management . July/August 2009; pages 57-64.
- Karakostas, B. Restructuring the IS Curriculum around the Theme of Service Orientation. IT Professional 11(1): 59-63 (2009)
- Karakostas, B. Yiannis Zorgios & Charalampos C. Alevizos (2006) Automatic derivation of BPEL4WS from IDEF0 process models, Software & System Modeling 00: 1-11
- Gregoriades , A. , Bill Karakostas, (2004) Unifying business objects and system dynamics as a paradigm for developing decision support systems, Decision Support Systems, v.37 n.2, p.307-311, May.
- Fakas. G. & Bill Karakostas (2004). A peer to peer (P2P) architecture for dynamic workflow management. Infromation and Software technology 46 (2004) 423-431
- Kamalendu Pal & Bill Karakostas The Use of Cloud computing in Shipping Logistics. E-Logistics and E-Supply Chain Management: Applications for Evolving Business. Graham et al eds IGI Global 2013.
- Kardaras, D. & Karakostas, B. (2011) Fuzzy Modelling for Integrated Strategic Planning for Information Systems and Business Process Design. In Global Business: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools and Applications (4 Volumes), IGI Global, pages 593-610.
Edited Computer Science Proceedings Series
- Karakostas, Bill (2012). A High Performance Engine for concurrent CEP in Erlang" Springer Intelligent Distributed Computing VI Series Studies in Computational Intelligence, Vol. 446. Fortino, G.; Badica, C.; Malgeri, M.; Unland, R. (Eds.).
- Pal, K. & Karakostas, B., A Critiquing Mechanism in Engineering Machine Design, in G. D. Putnik & M. M. Cruz-Cunha (ed.), Virtual and Networked Organizations, Emergent Technologies and Tools, vol. 248, Springer-verlag, 2012, pp. 263-272.
- Bill Karakostas and Kamalendu Pal. Orchestrating Inter-organisational Logistics Workflows on the Cloud In VIRTUAL AND NETWORKED ORGANIZATIONS, EMERGENT TECHNOLOGIES AND TOOLS. Springer Communications in Computer and Information Science, 2012, Volume 248, 137-144.
Conferences & Workshops
- Karakostas,B. DNS Architecture for the Internet of Things: A Case Study in Transport Logistics. In Proc. the 4th International Conference on Ambient Systems, Networks and Technologies (ANT-2013).
- Karakostas B and Takis Katsoulakos (2010) CLOUD ARCHITECTURE FOR E-COLLABORATION IN THE INTERMODAL FREIGHT BUSINESS. Proceedings International Conference on Knowledge Management and Information Sharing (KMIS 2010)
- Karakostas B & G. Fakas. (2009) An Architecture for Reliable Mobile Workflow in a Grid Environment. In Proc. the Fourth International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services, Venice, May 2009
- Karakostas, Bill . & Zorgios, Y. (2008) A systematic ontology-driven approach to e-services governance . Proc. AST4SOC Workshop. Porto, July 2008.
- Fakas G & Bill Karakostas (2005) A peer to Peer (P2P) Workflow Architecture for Emergency Teams Support Information resource Management Association International Conference, IRMA 2005, San Diego, USA, 15-18 May 2005.