Senior lecturer - deafness and hearing impairment
Ros Herman qualified as a Speech and Language Therapist (SLT) at Reading University, achieved her Masters at the University of London and completed her PhD at City University London. She has worked clinically with Deaf clients of all ages and works part-time at City University, lecturing on the BSc and PGDip courses for trainee SLTs and the MSc Human Communication course. Ros has a longstanding interest in the clinical skills of SLTs who work with Deaf people, and for many years ran the Advanced Clinical Studies Diploma at City University for qualified SLTs wishing to specialise in work with deaf people.
Ros' research interests are focused on language development in British Sign Language (BSL) and communication and reading in deaf people. Ros has worked actively to highlight the lack of assessment materials for Deaf children who are BSL users. She was project leader in the development of two major language assessments in BSL (Herman et al 1999, Herman et al 2004), representing the only available norm-referenced tests of any sign language in the world, and she played an active role in developing the DfES National Monitoring Protocol for Deaf Infants & Children (2004). She is an affiliate of DCAL (the Deafness, Cognition & Language Research Centre) and has worked on a project in with staff there to develop BSL norms for the MacArthur Communicative Development Inventory and a more recent project to characterise language impairment in BSL. Ros is currently working on a major funded project to investigate reading and dyslexia in deaf children.
Ros has developed a Sign Language Assessment outreach service based at the Department of Language & Communication Science's on-site clinic, the Compass Centre, which offers clinical assessments of Deaf children and adults' communication in BSL. Ros also lectures and offers workshops to Teachers of the Deaf, Communication Support Workers and SLT Special Interest Groups on language acquisition in BSL and assessment of BSL and regularly runs training courses in use of the BSL Production Test for professionals working with Deaf children.
- Herman, R., Rowley K., Marshall C, Mason K, Atkinson J, Woll B & Morgan G (in press) Profiling SLI in Deaf children who are sign language users. In D. Quinto-Pozos, Multilingual Aspects of Sign Language. Multilingual Matters
- Marshall, C. R., Rowley, K., Mason, K., Herman, R., & Morgan, G. (2012) Lexical organisation in deaf children who use British Sign Language: Evidence from a semantic fluency task. Journal of Child Language doi:10.1017/S0305000912000116
- Herman, R. & Thomas, J. (2012) From communication to language. British Association of Teachers of the Deaf Magazine, March.
- Shergold, Z., Roy, P. & Herman, R. (2012) Deafness in a hearing workplace. Bulletin of the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists. March.
- Alton, S., Herman, R. & Pring, T. (2011) smiLE therapy with deaf students. Child Language Teaching & Therapy. 27(3): 1-13.
- Herman, R. & Mann, W. (2010). Sign language assessment: Where are we now? British Association of Teachers of the Deaf, (January) 22-23.
- Mason, K., Rowley, K., Marshall, C. R., Atkinson, J. R., Herman, R., Woll, B. & Morgan, G. (2010). Identifying SLI in Deaf children acquiring British Sign Language: Implications for theory and practice. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 28, 33-49.
- Woolfe, T., Herman, R., Roy, P. & Woll, B. (2009) Early vocabulary development in deaf native signers: a British Sign Language adaptation of the communicative development inventories. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 51, 322 - 331.
- Morgan, G., Herman, R., Barriere, I. & Woll, B. (2008). The onset and mastery of spatial language in children acquiring British Sign Language. Cognitive Development, 23, 1-19.
- Morgan, G., Herman, R., & Woll, B. (2007). Language impairments in Sign Language: Breakthroughs and puzzles. International Journal for Language and Communication Disorders, 42, 97-105.
- Martin, K., Hirson, A., Herman, R., Thomas, J. & Pring, T. (2007). The efficacy of speech intervention using electropalatography with an 18 year old deaf client: A single case study. Advances in Speech-Language Pathology, 9, 46-56.
- Koutsoubou, M., Herman, R. & Woll, B. (2007). Does language input matter in bilingual writing? Translation versus direct composition in Deaf school students' written stories. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 10. 127-151.
- Koutsoubou, M., Herman, R. & Woll, B. (2006). Bilingual language profiles of deaf students: An exploration of three deaf writers with different language proficiencies. Deafness & Education International, 8, 144-68.
- Herman, R. & Roy, P. (2006). Evidence from the extended use of the BSL Receptive Skills Test. Deafness and Education International, 8, 33-47.
- Herman, R. (2004). Early Support Programme: Monitoring Protocol for Deaf Babies and Children, DfES publication.
- Herman, R., Grove, N., Holmes, S., Morgan, G., Sutherland, H. & Woll, B. (2004). Assessing BSL Development: Production Test (Narrative Skills).City University Publication.
- Pantelemidou, V., Herman, R. & Thomas, J. (2003). Efficacy of speech intervention using electropalatography with a cochlear implant user. Journal of Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 17, 383-392.
- Morgan, G., Herman, R. & Woll, B. (2002). The development of complex verb morphology in BSL. Journal of Child Language, 29, 655-675.
- Herman, R. & Roy, P. (2000) The influence of child hearing status and type of exposure to BSL on BSL acquisition. Proceedings of the 1999 Child Language Seminar, City University London, 1, 116-122.
- Hoskin, J. & Herman, R. (2001) The communication, speech and gesture of a group of hearing impaired children. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 36, Supp: 206-209.
- Herman, R., Holmes, S. & Woll, B. (1999). Assessing British Sign Language Development: Receptive Skills Test. Forest Bookshop. Gloucestershire, UK.
- Herman, R. (1998a) The need for an assessment of deaf children's signing skills. Deafness & Education, 22 (3), 3-7.
- Herman, R. (1998b) Issues in designing an assessment of British Sign Language development. Proceedings of the conference of the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists, 332-7.