Assessing BSL Development Production Test
Assessing BSL Development: Production Test (Narrative Skills)
Authors: Rosalind Herman, Nicola Grove, Sallie Holmes, Gary Morgan, Hilary Sutherland & Bencie Woll
City University Publication, London 2004
This test is for use by Deaf and hearing professionals working with Deaf children. The test assesses Deaf children's ability to remember and structure a narrative and use aspects of BSL grammar. Test users can compare children's scores with the average for their age group.
Test purchasers must achieve a minimum of Stage 2 BSL (CACDP/Signature) and attend a 4 day training course before using this test. Training courses are run every two years.
Contents of test package:
Test video & DVD
How to use the test presented in BSL on the test video & DVD
About the Authors
- Rosalind Herman is a Speech & Language Therapist and Senior Lecturer and Researcher in Deaf children's communication at City University London.
- Nicola Grove is a Speech & Language Therapist currently involved in setting up training courses in storytelling for people with intellectual disabilities.
- Sallie Holmes is a Co-ordinator of Deaf Instructors in Leeds; a trainer, assessor and Internal Verifier for NVQ Level 4 BSL units and Interpreting Level 4 BSL units, and freelance External Verifier for the CACDP.
- Gary Morgan is a Professor of Developmental Psychology with a research interest in Sign Language acquisition at City University, London.
- Hilary Sutherland is a freelance Researcher and Consultant who has worked on a number of research projects involving deaf children
- Bencie Woll is a Sign Linguist and holds a Professorship in Sign Language and Deaf Studies at University College, London.
For information about the test and future training courses, please contact: