Occupational Health Checks
You will be required to attend an Occupational Health appointment in the first weeks of the course to ensure you have health clearance to practice. You will be given specific details of your mandatory appointment during your induction.
Students on the following programmes are required to undergo occupational health clearance at the commencement of the course:
- BSc (Hons) Midwifery
- BSc/PGDip in Nursing (all fields)
- BSc (Hons) Radiography (Diagnostic Imaging)
- BSc (Hons) Radiography (Radiotherapy & Oncology)
- BSc/PGDip in Speech and Language Therapy
Clearance forms will also require completing, these are 'an assessment on fitness to undertake study' and 'fitness for clinical placement'. In preparation for the assessment for fitness to clinical placement you must have received the following vaccinations:
- Hepatitis B vaccination - this is a course of three immunisations. The second vaccination is given one month after the first and the third is given six months after the first. If you are commencing the course within in the next six months we can provide the third vaccination but we ask that you receive the first and second from your GP. Please note your GP may charge you for this vaccination.
- MMR vaccination - You are required to have documentary evidence of two MMR vaccinations. Most people will have received these in childhood. If you have not your GP should provide these to you before the commencement of the course. Your GP should not charge you for this. You will need to provide your documentation as evidence of vaccination, we can not accept a verbal history of vaccination from you.
- Chickenpox (Varicella) - Please ask your GP whether you have had chickenpox. We require documentary evidence (if this is available) from your GP to confirm that you have had the infection. We recognise that some people will not have had chickenpox. If you do not have documentary evidence of previous infection we will take a blood test from you at the commencement of your course to confirm this before we provide you with vaccination to protect you against chickenpox
- Tuberculosis (TB) - please ask your GP to document whether you have been vaccinated with the BCG vaccine. If you have not you will require this as part of your course if skin testing indicates you have are susceptible to TB. If your GP is able to offer you skin testing (a mantoux test) and vaccination if this is required, this would be helpful, otherwise we will screen and immunise you at the commencement of your course.
- Tetanus and polio - please ask your GP to ensure you are up to date with your tetanus and polio vaccination.