1. Postgraduate
  2. Undergraduate
  3. Short Courses
  4. CPD
  5. Research Degrees
  1. Speech and Language Therapy
    1. 2016
    2. 2017

Speech and Language Therapy

BSc (Hons) |
City's BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy course has an established reputation for delivering excellent teaching and research. The course sits within City's Division of Language and Communication Science, the largest provider of speech and language therapy education in the UK.

Key Information

Start date

September 2016


Full-time: 4 years



Full-time: Tuition fees for home and EU students studying the BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy course are paid by the NHS.


Full-time: £14,500 per year (fees may increase in subsequent years in line with the Retail Prices Index)

UCAS code


Who is it for?

This degree is designed for students who are looking for a rewarding and lifelong career within the speech and language profession.


As a student on the BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy course you will learn in a world-leading environment from academics who are at the forefront of the field. The course covers the foundations of speech and language therapy including both the social and clinical context of human communication. In the fourth year of the course you will partake in clinical placements to develop your practical and clinical skills and knowledge of the field.

The innovative and research-informed curriculum is supported by the Roberta Williams Speech and Language Therapy Centre, our in-house SLT clinic led by specialist practitioners which offers excellent practice placement opportunities to students. You can also take advantage of City's close links with speech and language therapy services throughout London.

This degree leads to work in a challenging and varied field - you could be working with autistic children, people who stammer or adults who have lost their speech following a stroke.

If you have already graduated with a primary degree, City also offers a two year fast-track Postgraduate Diploma in Speech and Language Therapy.


As a graduate, you can register with the Health and Care Professions Council and practise as a speech and language therapist within the NHS and other settings.

Requirements and how to apply

Entry requirements

Typical offers require one of the following for 2016:

  • 'A' Level - 320 UCAS tariff points. Typically gained from 'A' Level grades ABB or BBB plus an 'AS' Level.
  • IB - 35 points, 6 in all Higher Level subjects.
  • Access to HE Diploma - Relevant Health or Science subject with 60 credits, 45 at level 3 of which 36 must be distinctions.
  • BTEC - Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care or Science-related subject: D*D*D.
  • GCSE: 5 GCSEs at A*-C with a grade C or above in English Language and Mathematics.

Additional Requirements

  • In addition to the entry requirements you are required to have 5 GCSEs A*-C with a grade C or above in English Language and Mathematics.
  • You are required to have occupational health, enhanced disclosure and barring service clearance.
  • As part of the selection process, shortlisted prospective students will be invited to a selection day where you will be required to demonstrate your values match those of the NHS Constitution.

Due to the high demand for places on NHS funded courses, as well as meeting the stated academic entry requirements, applicants will be required to attend a selection day held at City University London. You will be asked to complete the NHS Constitution Assessment, which is used to demonstrate that your values match those of the NHS Constitution. For further information, please visit our Selection Day page.

English requirements

Please note that due to changes in the UKVI's list of SELTs we are no longer able to accept TOEFL as evidence of English language for students who require a CAS as of April 2014.

If your first language is not English, we will require evidence of English language proficiency. Minimum requirements are:

  • IELTS: 7.5 overall with a minimum of 7.5 in the spoken and written components and 7.0 in the listening and reading components.

Visa requirements

If you are not from the European Economic Area / Switzerland and you are coming to study in the UK you may need to apply for a visa or entry clearance to come to the UK to study.  

The way that you apply may vary depending on the length of your course; there are different rules for:

  • Students on courses of more than 6 months
  • Students on courses of less than 6 months
  • Students on a pre-sessional English Language course

Please note: If you require a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK, you cannot undertake any City University London courses on a part-time basis.

For more information see our main Visa page.

How to apply

Applications for degree courses must be made through UCAS. You can apply through your school or college using the Apply system, which enables you to submit your application directly to the UCAS website.

Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS)
Rosehill, New Barn Lane,
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL52 3LZ

UCAS Customer Service Unit telephone numbers:

For callers in the UK: 0871 468 0 468
For callers outside the UK: +44 (0)871 468 0 468
For callers with hearing difficulties
From the UK use the Text Relay service on 18001 0871 468 0 468
From outside the UK dial +44 151 494 1260 (text phone) and then ask the operator to dial 0871 468 0 468.

You can apply for up to five universities on the form. Please take care to enter the correct course code, particularly for subjects with a foundation year or with BSc and BEng options. UCAS has implemented an 'invisibility of choices' policy so that, on the initial application and while you are receiving decisions, each university can only see their entry and not those of other universities you have chosen. This ensures that your application for a course at City University London is considered solely on your academic and personal qualities. You should submit your completed application form to UCAS with a £21 application fee. If you want to apply to City only, you can make a single choice application at a reduced rate of £11. The UCAS code for City University London is C60.

When to apply

Your application for entry in September 2016 should arrive at UCAS between 1 September 2015 and 15 January 2016. Applications that arrive after 15 January 2016 will be considered only at the University's discretion. When your application is acknowledged by UCAS, you will be sent a personal identification number so that you can access your records via Track on the UCAS website.


For general enquiries about the admissions process, please contact the
School of Health Sciences Admissions Office.

T: +44 (0)20 7040 5000

of students said staff have made the subject interesting
of students said staff are good at explaining things
Average salary six months after the course

The Lord Mayor of London Scholarship

Our clinics

City Sight and The Roberta Williams Centre

Staff and students at City's School of Health Sciences showcase the School's brand-new, purpose-built clinics. These state-of-the-art facilities provide a comprehensive range of services and educational resources in vision and language sciences for our students, researchers and patients.


Clinical placements are essential for developing the professional and interpersonal skills necessary for you to practice as a speech and language therapist. Through clinical placements in health centres, schools and hospitals, you will be able to observe a range of communication disabilities and apply your theoretical understanding to clinical practice.

The clinical placements sit within the professional studies modules in each year. In the first year you will be placed within community settings such as nurseries. In the subsequent years you will undertake weekly and block placements in different settings. You will be supported by clinical tutors and supervisors whilst on placement.

International placement opportunities

The Division of Language and Communication Science is currently offering some student exchange opportunities in Australia (Curtin University), Spain (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona), and Cambodia. Please note that these are subject to change, and new exchange opportunities are likely to be available from one year to the next.

Academic facilities

Speech and language therapy students have access to specialist equipment such as ultrasound and laryngographs to help them understand speech production. The laryngograph is a device that permits the analyst or student to examine the patterns of vocal fold vibration using gold-plated electrodes placed to either side of the larynx or 'voice box'. The technique is non-invasive and is thus ideal for teaching.

The Roberta Williams Speech and Language Therapy Centre, opened in January 2016, is our specialist speech and language therapy clinic. The Centre contains state-of-the-art and equipment to enable staff within the Division of Language and Communication Science to deliver cutting edge research and services to patients.

Learn a language for free

We offer a free language course for City University London students.

Find out how to apply

Teaching and learning

The BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy course is taught by expert staff who are leaders in the field of speech and language therapy and specialist areas such as phonetics, linguistics and audiology, in addition to clinical tutors who are practising clinicians.

Many of our academic staff members have written core textbooks that are used on the course. For example:

  • Hilari, K. and Botting, N. (2011) The Impact of Communication Disability Across the Lifespan.
  • Knight, R.A. (2012) Phonetics, A Coursebook.

A typical week consists of three days at City, one day in the clinic and one day of private study. Academic subjects are taught through lectures supported by video presentations, small group problem-solving sessions, practical classes and tutorials. You will also have access to the most up-to-date equipment in the Speech Acoustics Laboratory and City's in-house speech and language therapy clinic and the Roberta Williams Speech and Language Therapy Centre.

Your progress will be monitored during the year through assessed coursework and reports on your clinical work. At the end of the year there are written and practical examinations, the results of which contribute to your final degree mark.

Assessment weightings by year

  • Year 1: 10%
  • Year 2: 20%
  • Year 3: 35%
  • Year 4: 35%


Over the course of the Speech Therapy and Language undergraduate course, you will cover the foundations of speech and language therapy including both the social and clinical context of human communication.  The four year course will provide you with clinical placements to develop your practical, clinical skills and knowledge of the field.

Year 1

You will explore the foundations of hearing, speech and language and the process of human communication in the social and clinical context.

  • Hearing and speech sciences I
  • Language sciences I
  • Biomedical sciences I
  • Lifespan studies
  • Social context
  • Professional studies.

Year 2

You will explore the nature of speech, communication and swallowing in children and adults and attend weekly clinical placements.

  • Hearing and speech sciences II
  • Language sciences II
  • Biomedical sciences II
  • Developmental psychology
  • Speech, communication and swallowing disabilities
  • Professional studies.

Year 3

You will examine the nature of cognition, language and communication disabilities in children and adults. Students attend weekly clinical placements.

  • Research and evidence-based practice
  • Language sciences III
  • Language, cognition & communication disabilities
  • Professional studies.

Year 4

The focus is on research, professional development and entry to the profession. Students conduct a small-scale piece of research and complete a block clinical placement.

  • Research and evidence based practice
  • Professional studies.

Career prospects

On graduation of the Speech and Language Therapy undergraduate course you can register with the Health and Care Professions Council and practise as a speech and language therapist within the NHS and other settings. Speech and language therapists can work with a range of clients at different ages, including children with speech and language difficulties, stroke patients, head and neck cancer patients, deaf children and adults and those with learning difficulties.

A career in speech and language therapy offers opportunities to work in a range of settings including health centres, hospitals, day centres, schools, charities and universities. You can also work abroad and in the independent sector, or follow a career path in management, research or education.

Qualified speech and language therapists can earn a starting salary of £21,000 per annum and this can quickly rise to between £25,000-£34,000. Principal and lead speech language therapists can go on to earn up to £58,000 per annum.

City graduates go on to secure roles such as:

  • Clinical specialists
  • Senior managers
  • Research leaders
  • Heads of education services.
95% of graduates are in full time employment / further study

Statistics from Unistats.

Contact details

Admissions (UG & pre-registration)

Request a prospectus

Find out more about City and all our undergraduate degree programmes.

Get your prospectus

St Pauls London