The Centre for Human-Computer Interaction Design is an independent research centre established within the School of Informatics (now the School of Mathematics, Computer Science & Engineering) at City in 1991. Its goal is to undertake internationally recognised academic research and publish results in leading journals and conferences. The Centre has grown significantly since 2000 and is now London's largest HCI-related research group, with over 20 academic and research staff and a large number of PhD candidates. Our people are multi-disciplinary, with backgrounds in systems engineering, software engineering, human-computer interaction, psychology, social science, artificial intelligence and management science.
- We research the design of socio-technical systems - systems which people and technologies depend on each other. We place particular emphasis on user-centred requirements engineering, user diversity, interaction design, usability evaluation, and understanding important aspects of design such as creativity, communication and negotiation;
- We gained over £2.5m of research income in the last 5 years from bodies including the UK Research Councils, European Union and charities.
Find out more about our Research.
- We provided innovative new requirements processes to improve the development of European air traffic management systems;
- We established the Interaction Lab a state-of-the-art usability lab used in research, consultancy and teaching.
Find out more about our Consultancy & Business Services.
- We offer a part-time/full-time MSc in Human Computer Interaction Design (HCID) which focuses on usability, user experience (UX) and user-centred design (UCD). This course will equip you with theoretical and practical knowledge in interaction design and human-computer interaction;
- We draw on high-calibre applicants from a variety of backgrounds, nationally and internationally;
- We cap our student intake to ensure high-quality teaching and good staff-student ratio;
- Our course is offered as a full-time and part-time option, allowing you flexibility in choosing the best option for you;
- We involve our students in work carried out in the City Interaction Lab, gaining valuable work experience. In addition, the course can also be combined with an internship.
Apply to the MSc in Human Computer Interaction Design (HCID).