Coaching Psychology Unit
The Coaching Psychology Unit was launched in December 2005 and was the first university-based coaching psychology unit to be established in the UK. The focus of the Unit is to encourage research into all aspects of the developing field of coaching psychology and coaching.
Our research includes:
- Developing the theory and practice of coaching psychology
- Effectiveness of coaching and coaching psychology practice
- Return on Investment of coaching in organisations
- Leadership development through coaching
- The adaptation of therapeutic approaches to the field of coaching
- Boundaries between coaching, coaching psychology, mentoring, counselling and psychotherapy
- Coaching in multicultural settings, organisations and society
- Coaching to reduce stress and enhance performance
- Internet coaching interventions
- Health coaching and wellbeing
- Positive psychology and coaching psychology
Doctoral research studentsWe currently have eight doctoral research students undertaking coaching psychology research.
- PhD students: Vicky Ellam-Dyson; Ulrika Hultgren; Lorna Stewart
- DPsych students: Alison Bain CPsychol; Alanna O'Broin CPsychol; Margaret Chapman CPsychol; Addy Hackett CPsychol; Sarah Talbot-Landon CPsychol.
International Advisory Board
We have an International Advisory Board consisting of experts in coaching psychology and related fields. We are establishing collaborative relationships with other units and centres both nationally and internationally.
Director, staff and studentsThe Director of the Coaching Psychology Unit is Professor Stephen Palmer PhD CPsychol CMIOSH CSci. He is a leading pioneer of the coaching psychology movement in the UK. For more details about staff and students at the Coaching Psychology Unit please visit our staff and student webpage.
Our team will consider research and consultancy assignments for external organisations. If interested please contact the Director of the Coaching Psychology Unit, Professor Stephen Palmer.
Further information about the Coaching Psychology Unit
- Details about staff, research fellows, supervisors and students
- International Advisory Board
- International and National Collaboration
- List of publications and conference presentations
Further information and useful links
- Association for Coaching
- APS Interest Group in Coaching Psychology
- BPS Special Group in Coaching Psychology
- Society for Coaching Psychology
- Centre for Coaching
- Coaching Psychology Unit, University of Sydney
- European Mentoring and Coaching Council
- Association for Professional Executive Coaching and Supervision