Fundraising in & for the cultural sector
This module explores the targeting of modern communication strategies and techniques to support and champion culture. It enables participants to consider communication in relation to culture; become familiar with the key concepts and theories of communication; and to develop effective approaches to communication in different contexts.
It considers where, and how, communication theory is relevant both within cultural organisations and externally, in relation to media, audiences, funders, and other stakeholders. Participants are encouraged to develop typologies of such constituencies. The module compares and contrasts holistic communication strategies with specific campaigns and applications, including communication with the media, advocacy and grant-writing, directed at local government, foundations and sponsors.
This module enables participants to explore who needs to be communicating what, with whom and why as well as motives, messages, media and methods. It focuses on:
- researching and categorising constituencies
- planning media campaigns, effective press releases and editorial
- advocacy as it relates to policy drivers, politics and decision making in government at local, regional, national levels
- advocacy campaigns
- funding and fundraising: income development and the broader context
- researching and writing applications
- commissioning and using consultants
- Ali, M (1999). The DIY Guide to Public Relations. 2nd ed. London, Directory of Social Change
- Eastwood, M. and Norton, M (1997). Writing Better Fundraising Applications. 2nd ed. London, Directory of Social Change
- Fishel, D. (1993). The Arts Sponsorship Handbook. London, Directory of Social Change
- Forrester, S. and Manuel, G. (2000). Arts Funding Guide. 5th ed. London, Directory of Social Change
- Gilchrist, K. (2000). Looking After Your Donors, London, Directory of Social Change
- Hill, L. and Whitehead, B. (2004). The Complete Membership Handbook: a guide to managing friends, members and supporters schemes. London, Directory of Social Change in association with ArtsProfessional
- Norton, M. and Botting, N. (April 2001). Complete Fundraising Handbook. 4th ed. London, Directory of Social Change
- Reiss, A. H. (2000). CPR for Non Profits (Creative Strategies for Successful Fundraising, Marketing Communications and Management).
- Traynor, T. and French, A. (2006). A Guide to the Major Trusts 2005/06. Volumes 1 & 2. London, Directory of Social Change
- Venables, T. (2007). A Guide to European Union Funding for NGOs. Assessing Europe's largest donor. Brussels, European Citizen Action Service.