Wellcome Trust Studentships
What are the Wellcome Trust Science Journalism Studentships?
The Master of Arts in Science Journalism at City University London is unique in the UK educational sector and one of a very small number of similar courses across the entire world. The MA has been running since 2009 with students from both the UK and the EU, as well as internationally.
The course will give students a thorough grounding in the best practices in health, science and environmental journalism, whilst teaching them to be a critical consumer of scientific information.
The Wellcome Trust Studentships offer financial support for two students per year to undertake a postgraduate qualification in Science Journalism MA at City University London starting in September 2013:
- One UK/RoI Studentship for a student covering tuition fees (£9,000) plus a grant of £12,000 to cover basic living expenses;
- One International Studentship for a student covering tuition fees (£18,000) plus a grant of £12,000 to cover basic living expenses and £1,000 towards a return flight (for eligible countries see "How do I apply?").
How do I apply?The Wellcome Trust Science Journalism Studentships are open to the following:
- UK/RoI Studentships are open to applicants who are citizens of and resident in the UK or the Republic of Ireland.
- International Studentships are open to applicants who are citizens of and resident in India, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, South Africa, Malawi or Kenya.
The Studentships will be awarded on the basis of your suitability for the MA determined by your application documents, and the benefits to you of winning a Studentship. The decision will be made by a committee comprising staff from City University London and the Wellcome Trust.
To be considered for a Wellcome Trust Studentship, you must be applying for admission onto the Science Journalism MA at City University London. If you have not yet applied, please complete an application for this course according to the instructions on the 'how to apply' button.
Please also submit the following two articles:
- An additional statement of 300 words outlining why you should be the recipient of a Wellcome Trust Studentship
- An essay or a feature of 500 words entitled: What is the role of a science journalist in the 21st century?
If you are successful in being awarded the studentship, but subsequently decline your offer of admission on the MA course, the award of the studentship will be withdrawn and awarded to another applicant.
Deadlines and contacts
The Wellcome Trust Studentship applications deadline is 12:00 noon GMT on 31 May 2013.The studentship will only be awarded to an applicant who has firmly accepted their offer through payment of the deposit. (Your deposit will be refunded if you are awarded one of the Studentships.)
A Selection Committee will meet in June 2013 to select the studentship winners and the winners will be announced shortly afterwards.
If you are interested in making an application, please contact Rachel West:
Postgraduate Programme Administrator
T: +44 (0)20 7040 3319