Dr Amnon Aran
Dr Aran joined the Department in September 2009. He was previously a Fellow in International Relations at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
His main research interests lie in the international relations of the Middle East, with special reference to the Arab-Israeli conflict and the foreign policy of Middle Eastern states.
His work also engages with International Relations theory, particularly foreign policy analysis and globalisation.
Dr Aran has also contributed to policy-making forums through his work with the European Union's Middle East Peace Task Force, ETN Zurich, Oxford Analytica, and he has commentated on Middle Eastern affairs for the BBC, Bloomberg and CCTV. His book - Foreign Policy Analysis: New Approaches - was recently published by Routledge. Dr Aran has also published in academic journals such as International Affairs, and International Politics.
- Aran, A. And Alden, C., Foreign Policy Analysis (London: Routledge, 2011),
- Aran, A., Israel's Foreign Policy towards the PLO (Brighton: Sussex Academic Press, 2009)
- Aran, A., 'Israel and the Arab Uprisings: A Provisional Analysis', Rusi Journal, Vol. 157, No. 5, pp., 56-61.
- Aran, A., 'Containment and Territorial Transnational Actors: Israel, Hezbollah, and Hamas', International Affairs, Vol. 88, Issue 4, 2012, pp. 835-855.
- Aran, A., 'Arbitrating the Israeli-Palestinian Territorial Dispute: A Riposte, International Politics, Vol. 49, 2012, pp. 388-391.
- Aran, A, 'Foreign Policy and Globalization Theory: The Case of Israel', International Politics, Vol. 48, 2011, pp. 707-730.
- Aran, A., Europe and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: Towards a new Diplomatic Engagement? in Europe and the Middle East: The Hour of the EU? (Strasburg: Peter Lang, 2012).
- Aran, A, Israeli Foreign Policy in Historical Perspective: State, Ethno Nationalism, Globalization in Clive Jones and Tore T. Peterson (ed), Israel's Secret Diplomacies (London: Hurst/Columbia University Press, 2012).
- Book review: Toby Dodge and Richard Higgot (eds.), Globalization and the Middle East: Islam, Economy, Society and Politics (London: The Royal Institute of International Affairs, 2002) in Millennium: Journal of International Studies, Vol. 31. No. 2, March 2002.
- Book Review: Sergio Catignani, Israeli Counter-Insurgency and the Intifadahs: Dilemmas of a Conventional Army (London, Routlege, 2008) in Political Studies Review, Vol. 7 No.1, January 2009.
Other (selected) publications
- Aran, A, Israel and the Arab uprisings (LSE Impact BLog, May 2012)
- Aran, A., Keeping a Balance? Explaining Israel's Defence and Social Welfare Expenditure in Historical Perspective in Hyun Go (ed) Six Country Study of Comparative Welfare Policies (Seoul: Asia House, 2011).
- Between Palestine and Iran: Saudi-Arabia and the Arab-Israeli Conflict (ETN Zurich, March 2010).
- Aran, A., The Israeli Palestinian Impasse in Strategic Update, IDEAS (IDEAS, LSE, October 2009).
- Aran, A., 'Paradigmatic Progress in Israel-Palestine?' in International Relations and Security Network (ETN Zurich, May 2009).
- Aran, A., Coming Full Circle in Gaza (Oxford Analytica).
- Aran, A., Deal Time: Peace in the Middle East? (Monocole, November 2008).
- Aran, A., Tony Blair: An Envoy in Search of a Mission (The House, April, 2008).
- Aran, A., Israel and the Palestinians after Annapolis (Consultancy paper, LFI, March 2008).
- Aran, A., The Arab Peace Initiative: The Political Implications for the Arab-Israeli Conflict (Consultancy paper, LFI, November, 2007).
- The International Politics of the Middle East (IP3008, BSc module)
- The International Politics of the Middle East (IPM018, MSc module)
- Theories and Research Strategies in International Politics (IP2011)
I welcome PhD supervision on the following topics:
- The Palestinians
- The Arab-Israeli conflict
- The foreign policy of Middle Eastern States
- Foreign Policy Analysis.
Current research students
- Mr Pietro De-Perini, who works on the impact of intercultural dialogue on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict.
- Ms Leonie Fleischman, who works on the Israeli peace movement.
- Ms Shelly Gotfried, who works on the rise of oligarchs in Israel.
- Mr Hisham Sabbag, who works on the role of US mediation in the Israeli-Syrian peace negotiations.
Dr Aran has extensive experience in written, radio and television media commentary.
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7040 8534