Gender Equality Working Group
The Gender Equality Project is much more than City’s submission for an Athena SWAN award, it is about making long-term changes to embedded cultures and behaviours across the institution."
Professor Giulia Iori, Chair Gender Equality Working Group
The Gender Equality Working Group (GEWG) leads and co-ordinates activity that will support City in developing and delivering its gender equality objectives.
The GEWG is chaired by Professor Giulia Iori, Professor of Economics; its work is sponsored at the highest levels within the institution by Professor Richard Verrall, Pro Vice Chancellor. The GEWG is a sub-group of the Executive Committee (ExCo). It reports regularly on progress to ExCo and works in a complementary way with the Equality Committee.
View the Gender Equality Project governance structure (pdf)
The GEWG comprises academic, professional and support staff in a range of grades and roles from across City. It includes student and staff union representatives and it is managed by members of the Human Resources department.
The membership is broad and inclusive so as to build support and buy-in from stakeholders across the City community at all levels.
View a list of Gender Equality Working Group members (pdf)
Areas of work
- Develop City’s Athena SWAN Bronze award submission;
- Assist Schools / departments with ‘department’ Athena SWAN applications;
- Monitor and review the implementation of City's Athena SWAN Action Plan;
- Take forward further strategic planning around gender equality initiatives for City.
- A small Steering Group of the GEWG oversees the delivery of the Gender Equality Project;
- Time-limited ‘task and finish’ sub-groups undertake a range of enabling tasks;
- A ‘Self-Assessment Team’ from within the GEWG prepares the Institution Athena SWAN Charter award submission;
- An external Gender equality Advisory Group will advise the GEWG on initiatives and measures to advance gender equality at City.