Facts about City
- City currently has over 18,000 students (46% at postgraduate level) from more than 150 countries and staff from over 75 countries.
- More than 130,000 former students from over 180 countries are members of the City Alumni Network.
- City has been educating students in London since 1894 - read about our history.
Our location in the heart of London
- Sadler's Wells Theatre, 0.19 miles (0.32km)
- Barbican Arts Centre, 0.67 miles (1.08km)
- Museum of London, 0.74 miles (1.19km)
- Old Bailey, 0.88 miles (1.42km)
- Fleet Street, 0.94 miles (1.52km)
- St Paul's Cathedral, 0.94 miles (1.52km)
- British Library, 1.1 miles (1.78km)
- Bank of England, 1.17 miles (1.88km)
- River Thames, 1.19 miles (1.92km)
- British Museum, 1.2 miles (1.94km)
- "The Gherkin", 1.29 miles (2.09km)
- Tate Modern, 1.39 miles (2.24km)
- West End, 1.65 miles (2.66km)
- National Gallery & National Portrait Gallery, 1.66 miles (2.67km)
- Tower of London, 1.69 miles (2.72km)
- "The Shard", 1.74 miles (2.80km)
- Houses of Parliament, 2.15 miles (3.46km)
- Buckingham Palace, 2.49 miles (4.02km)
- Hyde Park, 2.64 miles (4.26km)
- Royal Albert Hall, 3.69 miles (5.95km)
- National History Museum, 3.74 miles (6.02km)
- O2 Arena, 4.74 miles (7.63km)
- Our name was adopted in 1966 to reflect our long-standing relationship with the City of London.
- The Lord Mayor of London is our Chancellor, an arrangement which has been in place since 1966.
- City has been supported by the City of London livery companies for over 100 years.
Our commitment to academic excellence
- We are in the top 5% of world universities according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015.
- We have 12 areas of academic activity where our research was assessed as being of a quality comparable with the very best in the world by the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- We are the top university in London for student satisfaction (National Student Survey (NSS) 2015).
- Around 46% of our students are on postgraduate or research programmes.
- We are the first UK University Student Centre to receive the Service Mark Quality Standard from the Institute of Customer Service.
Our focus on business and the professions
- City's Sir John Cass Business School is ranked as the 4th best in the UK and 18th in Europe by the Financial Times European Business School Rankings 2014.
- Our Accounting and Finance courses are ranked 2nd in London and 13th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2016).
- City is ranked 28th in the world for Communication and Media Studies (QS World Subject Rankings 2014).
- Our Nursing courses are ranked 2nd in London (Times Good University Guide 2015).
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering courses at City are ranked in the top 10 in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2016).
- City is in the top 10 UK universities for graduate starting salaries (latest Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey (DHLE), 2012-13).
Our five Schools
City has five Schools - Cass Business School, School of Arts & Social Sciences, School of Health Sciences, School of Mathematics, Computer Science & Engineering and The City Law School. Our Graduate School, interdisciplinary centres and the Department for Learning Enhancement & Development (LEaD) complete the academic structure of the University.
Click on a School below to find out more.
- Cass is ranked as the 4th best business school in the UK and 19th in Europe (Financial Times European Business School Rankings 2014).
- Accounting and Finance courses at Cass are ranked 2nd in London and 13th in UK by the Guardian University Guide 2016.
- In 2014, the Financial Times ranked the Cass Full-time MBA 3rd in the UK, 7th in Europe and 13th in the world for career progression, post graduation.
- Cass Business School holds the gold standard of 'triple-crown' accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business ( AACSB ), the Association of MBAs ( AMBA ) and the European Quality Improvement System ( EQUIS ).
- The Sir John Cass Foundation has supported education in London since 1710.
- The School's Department of International Politics recorded the highest course satisfaction score (99%) in the country in the latest National Student Survey (NSS).
- The Centre for Cultural Policy and Management, part of the School, is the longest-established centre of its kind in the country.
- QS World University Rankings 2014 place City 12th in the UK for Economics.
- 87% of City's Music-related research was rated as either 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent' in 2014's Research Excellence Framework (REF), placing us 11th (out of 84) in the UK.
- The School's Department of Psychology has consistently high student satisfaction at 94% over the past three years (National Student Survey).
- City currently has around 4,000 alumni working as journalists and media professionals around the world and is ranked 2nd in the UK for universities to prepare for careers in journalism (QS World University Rankings 2014).
- City's undergraduate Nursing degrees have the 2nd highest rate of student satisfaction in the country (National Student Survey 2014).
- The School incorporates the former St Bartholomew's School of Nursing and Midwifery with over 120 years' experience in educating health professionals.
- 100% of the School's research impact was judged as world leading or internationally excellent in 2014's Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- City was the first institution in the world to offer a full-time course in ophthalmic optics in 1927.
- Engineering was at the heart of City's foundation in 1894. Mechanical and Electrical Engineering were two of the first departments formed.
- City was the first to offer courses in Aeronautical (also known as Aerospace) Engineering in the UK (1909).
- The School holds accreditation from BCS - The Chartered Institute for IT, Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals ( CILIP ) and Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing ( SAP ).
- The School is ranked in the top 200 in the world for Computer Science and Information Systems by Top Universities 2014.
- The School was the first in London to educate students and practitioners at all stages of legal education.
- It incorporates the former Inns of Court School of Law, established 1852.
- Alumni include many global leaders, such as Mohandas 'Mahatma' Gandhi, Herbert Henry Asquith, Clement Attlee, Jawaharlal Nehru, Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair.