University Student Affairs Committee (until June 2011)
The University Student Affairs Committee (USAC) works to enhance the quality of the student experience, primarily through monitoring the responsiveness of the University and individual Schools to all forms of student feedback. USAC either approves responses or determines remedial action to be taken where a response is deemed inadequate. Although USAC primarily considers non-academic aspects of the student experience, it is inevitable that some of the committee’s business will concern academic delivery, for which the Chair will report recommendations to the DVC (Education) and/or to the University APPSC.
Terms of reference
To maintain the effectiveness of the University’s student feedback procedures, ensuring that sufficient and appropriate information is gathered at various levels and that responses are timely, and clearly communicated to students.
- To approve School responses to the NSS and request further action where necessary.
- To approve School responses to issues raised through internal feedback (e.g., from module questionnaires, University surveys, School surveys, staff-student liaison committees, etc.) and request further action where necessary.
- To identify University-level issues arising from School reports and use these to make recommendations to Senate, APPSC or Executive Committee as appropriate.
- To consider annual reports on the quality and performance of services and facilities provided for students, using these to make recommendations for enhancement.
- To consider an annual report on appeals, complaints and disciplinary matters, using this to identify trends and make recommendations for enhancement.
- To monitor the effectiveness and operation of the student representation system, in conjunction with the Students’ Union.
- To provide an annual report on the institutional management of student affairs to Senate and Executive Committee.
Composition and membership
|Name||Term of Appointment|
Dean of Students (Chair)
Independent member of Council
The Director of Services for Students
The President of the Students' Union
Students' Union Vice President of Education
Head of the Academic Development Unit
School Representation Officers (an elected student representative from each School)
Myrian Amal Rougab
Social Sciences (Research)
A member of academic or administrative staff from each School (appointed by the Board of Studies)
Clare De Than
All members are expected to act corporately, rather than representing the interests of their own School or portfolio.
Length of appointment of members
Staff members are appointed by Boards of Studies for a minimum term of two years. Staff members should normally be a member of either the School’s Board of Studies or APPSC, and are selected by the Chair of the School Board of Studies (or by election if necessary).
The senior student representatives are selected through normal Student’s Union procedures, and are appointed to represent Schools for the length of the duration of their election.
Officers and members of the University by invitation of the Chair
Chairs of sub-groups or heads of service departments
Academic Development Administrator (Committee Secretary)
Academic Development Officer
Students' Union Vice President of Activities and Development
Papers additionally circulated to
Executive Committee reports
Direct to Senate; communication line to Executive Committee; independent member to report SAC business to Council.
50% rounded up to the next whole number of the total actual membership, including at least three student members.
Frequency of meetings
As required, at least three times a year. Meetings to be held on dates and times that facilitate maximum student attendance.
Dates of meetings in 2010/11
Senate delegates authority to Student Affairs Committee to:
- Approve any remedial action to be taken where responses made to student feedback within schools and service providers are considered to be inadequate.
Detailed procedural aspects:
- Approve induction arrangements for student members of Senate and Council committees and Senate standing committees.
- Approve and oversee arrangements for monitoring student matters raised at school or institute committees.
Committees subsumed into SAC
- Services for Students Committee
- Senate Student Liaison Committee