Course Board for Guildhall School of Music and Drama Research Degrees
Terms of Reference
- To oversee the quality and standards of the validated research degree provision of the Guildhall School of Music & Drama.
- To ensure compliance with the University’s requirements for the validation of research degrees as documented in the University’s Research Studies Handbook.
- To receive from the School’s Academic Board proposed programme amendments and special schemes of study for subsequent recommendation to the University’s Validation and Institutional Partnerships Committee.
- To consider nominations for external examiners for subsequent recommendation to the University’s Senate.
- To take an overview of research degree recruitment and, in particular, to monitor entry profiles.
- To receive details of staff changes and accompanying CVs with regard to supervisors for the research degrees.
- To receive and consider the Annual Programme Evaluation for subsequent report to the University’s Validation and Institutional Partnerships Committee.
- To receive and consider minutes of the Academic Board and/or Research & Knowledge Exchange Committee meetings when research degree provision is considered
- To receive reports arising from any revalidation visit and to oversee the implementation of action/s arising for subsequent report to the University’s Validation and Institutional Partnerships Committee.
- To receive reports from the School on any institutional developments that may impact upon the validation relationship including changes in governance and management, relationships with any other institutions and external quality or accreditation review, for subsequent report to the University’s Validation and Institutional Partnerships Committee.
- For one meeting per year, usually held in the Spring Term, to be a meeting between the Chair of Course Board and students on the research degree programme. The agenda for this meeting will allow for discussion and feedback on the latest Annual Programme Evaluation and associated Action Plan.
Composition and Membership
|City University representation|
|Chair||Prof Steve Stanton|
|Deputy Chair||Prof Chris Hull|
|UG Programme Director||Dr Alexander Lingas|
|Co-opted member - MMA/DMA Joint Programme Leader||Dr Laudan Nooshin|
|Validated programme representative|
|Head of Research||Dr Cormac Newark|
|Vice Principal & Director of Academic Affairs||Prof Helena Gaunt|
|Academic Registrar & Director of the Student Experience||Katharine Lewis|
|Research & Knowledge Exchange Manager||Geoff Coates|
|Senior Research Coordinator||Esther Fowler|
|Joint programme leader|
|MMA/DMA||Dr Kate Romano|
|EA to the Vice-Principal and the Director of Academic Studies||Katy McNamara|
|Validation and Partnerships Manager||Abi Moran|