Cycling and Green Travel
City actively supports cycling and walking as part of its Green Travel Plan, which aims to reduce the environmental impacts of travel generated by the University's staff, students and daily activities.
Free cycle checks and cycle training available at City
Transport for London (TfL) and Islington Council will be at Northampton Square on the following dates from 10am to 2pm offering free cycle checks and sign-ups to free one-on-one cycle training sessions. The training is available for all levels ranging from beginner to advanced and the first 100 students to complete a cycle training session will receive a £30 bike shop voucher from TfL.
- 12 & 24 April 2013
- 10 & 22 May 2013
- 7, 19, 28 June 2013
These dates are in addition to the regular bike doctor visits listed below.
Cycling initiatives at City
- Secured bike parking shed (for 100 bikes) - located behind the Drysdale Building and accessible via Spencer Street. Access is via your University ID card, which must be registered and enabled at the Security Office just behind Main Reception.
- Helmet lockers (50 lockers total) - located within the secured bike shed. Access is first-come, first-serve. You must supply your own lock, which should be removed at the end of the day.
Showers and changing facilities - located at various locations around City (please enquire with the Reception desk at these buildings for further details):
- University Building (lower ground) - main shower facilities [closed until end of September 2013]
- Social Science Building (4th floor) - 1 unisex shower
- College Building (lower ground, men's toilet next to ALG19B) - 1 shower
- Tait Building (1st floor, door adjacent to ladies' toilet near C170) - 1 unisex shower
- Myddelton Street Building (lower ground, MGL02) - 1 unisex shower
- West Smithfield - 4 showers
- Cycle-to-work scheme (Cyclescheme.co.uk) for staff wishing to obtain bikes and safety equipment for travelling to work. Enrolment is open each February, May, August and November. Contact Human Resources on 020 7040 3085 for further details or visit the staff intranet pages here.
Bike doctor visits - free bike maintenance provided by the Bikeologist for all City cyclists on the following days from approximately 9am-4pm. It is first-come, first-serve, so get in early!
- Thursday & Friday 25 & 26 April 2013 (Northampton Square)
- Thursday & Friday 23 & 24 May 2013 (Northampton Square)
- Thursday & Friday 20 & 21 June 2013 (Northampton Square)
Cycle training - Islington Council offers FREE Bikeability cycle training to all adult residents, employees and students based in the borough. To sign up, complete the online form at the following link: http://islington.gov.uk/online_survey/adultcycletraining.asp. The training sessions are normally two-hours long and are delivered 1:1. Training is available at the following levels:
- Level 1 - Control skills (off-road)
- Level 2 - Basic on-road
- Level 3 - Advanced on-road and route planning
What can you do?
- Join the City cycling mail list. This way you'll get updated on any cycling-related things happening at City.
- There's also a Facebook page at www.facebook.com/CityCyclingClub.
- Become a Cycle Safety Ambassador at City. For more details, contact email@example.com.
- Why not try one of London's cycle hire bikes? The Barclays Cycle Hire bikes are available across London and within easy access to each of City's sites, making it an easy, quick and cheap way to travel. Give them a try!
What's the point?
Cycling is a great way to get around London. Not only will it save you money, but you'll reduce your carbon footprint and get fit at the same time.
City makes cycling research news
City shares expertise with Transport for London to analyse London Cycle Hire data. Read more about it on the City news page.